One of the greatest parts about the last race was the number of people we reached and connected with through the blog and the race, from new friends to old friends to total strangers. So if you know of anyone who might be interested in what we're doing, please share, and invite, and include...



The blog from our 2011 race can be found at www.teamciaobella.blogspot.com

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Mossel Bay 2 Cape Town in a humans eyes

Hi all,

So here's what happened...

We left Mossel Bay harbour at 22:30 on 26/11/2013 after having our safety briefing and getting into our oilies and putting on our harnesses and casting off. There was no wind leaving MB so we motored out. Bren and myself were on the first watch, I was sent to the foredeck with a flash light to look out for rocks, whales  and containers. I spotted a whale about 20 meters starboard to us and managed to get past it quietly. At 23:15 we decided to put the main up. I helmed until I couldn't anymore (because I got sick). Just before the end of my shift I was leaning  over the end when I suddenly saw Torpedoes. there were so many dolphins following us for 15 minutes in the phosphorescence. The next day was ok, but there I was,super sea sick.
Cape to Rio
Photo taken by Jay Caboz

The evening of the 27th was nice we had the code zero up, but I was still horribly sick so I didn't go on my first watch. Alexa did it for me. The my next watch was the dog watch and boy oh boy that was not pleasant (because I was still a bit sick, and it was really early). As the clock struck 04:45, we were broaching like there was no tomorrow, so when it was the end of our shift at 05:00 we called up Dad and Jay and tried to get this HUGE Code Zero down. We were battling, just the four of us so I called Alex. I had to eventually get on the foredeck with Bren and help. That was really cool, exciting but also scary because we were still broaching.  
Cape to Rio
Jay Caboz 

We poled out the number 3 and started SHUNTING. To quote what a dashing young man once said from a few years back (Brennan): “There were waves the size of mountains and the wind blowing the spots of dog and we were just sitting  in it FLYING, FLYING”. We crossed False Bay really quickly.
Cape to Rio
Photo taken by Jay Caboz

As soon as we got to Clifton the wind died and we had to motor the rest of the way which doesn't look good considering you just sailed from Mossel bay or  Durban. We tied up at Royal Cape around 11h00.

Jay Caboz
The next morning I woke up to Bren and Dad super chuffed because they got the desalinater working again. Ciao Bella looked and felt very good, and I think she is just about ready for the race.



Michaela out.

2 comments:

  1. Good work on the Blog Team Ciao Bella - I look forward to following your posts on the race!

    http://teamciaobella2014.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super awesome writing and team!!
    Keen to read more and follow this trip in 2014.

    Rock it like a rhino!!!

    ReplyDelete